Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I haven't posted in a while because I've been delightfully occupied with an on-line class with Christy Tomlinson. I signed up for her mixed media class, SheArt Workshop, to treat myself to an "art" class, something I've never done before because I thought I couldn't paint or draw. Was I wrong! What fun I've had creating mixed media canvases using paint, and scrapbook papers, and rub-ons, and stamping--things I've stayed away from in the past. I'm also mixing in fabrics and trims and notions from my sewing stash. It's like playing with paper dolls, something I loved as a child.

 Now I have a new addiction and regularly troll Tuesday Morning and Marshall's for deals on art and scrapbooking supplies. The three-week class cost next to nothing in comparison to what I spent on all those new supplies, so now I'm taking another of Christy's fun classes. You can find out more about her at www.scarletlime.com. That's her online store, but there are links to her blog and workshops, too.

So here are the first five canvases I've finished, with a few more in the works, including "little girl" and "big girl" versions of me. The ones shown here are in the order in which I created them. I really like the second one and can't believe I actually painted the hair! Her cap is a part of a paper flower that I painted and embellished. I'll share more.

Now I need to get back to my new pattern designs. I've been distracted by these new artistic endeavors, but feel it has been beneficial to my overall sense of design and certainly to my self confidence. If you need some fun, sign up for Christy's SheArt Workshop! You'll love it!

She let her inner artist explore.
She loved to play dress up!

She sings because music is the language of her soul.

She is grateful for the sunshine.

Detail of the 3-D pleated paper trim

She's not lost, she's exploring.


I love her little red shoes and knee socks.

Oh la la! La Chienne est tres jolie!

Eiffel tower copied from a vintage postcard, then embellished on the canvas.

No comments: